I would like to apply to study for the Master of Arts in Communication Design. What should I do?
The prerequisites for enrolling in the Master of Arts in Communication Design are as follows:
- You can understand, speak and write German and/or English, and
- you have completed a Bachelor or a Diploma from a university of arts/of applied sciences in a design, business or another research discipline, and
- you have professional, teaching or research experience (at least an internship).
If you have not completed a Bachelor or a Diploma but can provide proof of exceptional aptitude, then you may nevertheless still apply for admission to the course.
1. Contact us
The Head of Studies will be happy to answer your questions about your application and can advise you in the development of your project idea. Please contact us by e-mail and make an appointment for a personal consultation; this can be carried out either in person, by telephone or by Skype.
2. Apply (24.10.2016 – 18.04.2017)
Please have the following documents ready in PDF format (N.B. your passport photo must be in JPG format and no single file may be larger than 1 MB):
- Identity card or passport
- Passport photo
- Certificate qualifying you for university admission (e.g. school-leaving certificate, high school graduation certificate, professional matriculation diploma, baccalauréat diploma etc.)
- CV in tabular form
- Letter of motivation (stating which track you want to study – “Design Entrepreneurship” or “Design Research” – and why you wish to study for the MA Communication Design at the BUA; max. 500 words)
if you are not a Swiss citizen:
- Residence permit (if you have one)
if you were already registered at another university:
- Confirmation of de-registration
- Transcript of records: Diploma and/or transcript of your studies hitherto
You can apply online from 24.10.2016 until 18.04.2017 for the autumn semester 2017.
The registration fee is CHF 100.-. The additional fee for the aptitude interview is CHF 150.-. An invoice will be sent for both amounts at the appropriate time. There is no possibility of exemption or refund, e.g. in the event of a cancellation or non-participation in the process.
3. Send us your portfolio (18.04.2017)
Please send us your digital or analog portfolio until 18.04.2017.
On the basis of your portfolio we will decide whether we can admit you to an aptitude interview for the course.
The portfolio may contain the following elements:
- Selected projects (results and documentation) from your Bachelor studies
- Selected projects (results and documentation) from commissioned work (done either freelance or when employed by a third party)
- Selected research projects (results and documentation)
- Information on the development of your projects
- Commentary on your projects
Please mail your portfolio in PDF format or a link to your portfolio to the Secretary of the Division of Design and Fine Arts.
Please write your name and “MA Communication Design” on your portfolio and send it by post to the following address:
Bern University of the Arts
Sekretariat Fachbereich Gestaltung und Kunst
– or hand in your portfolio in person at the above address. The Secretary’s office of the Division of Design and Fine Arts is on the 1st floor and has the following opening times:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 08:30–12:00
Tuesday, Thursday: 08:30–12:00 / 13:00–16:00
4. Present your project idea to us
If you are accepted for an aptitude interview with us, we will send you an invitation by letter with the appointment.
In the aptitude interview you will have 20 minutes to present your project idea for your MA to the members of the aptitude interview commission. After this, the members of the commission will ask questions about your project for 10 minutes.
The aptitude interview commission will comprise the Head of Studies (chairperson), at least two lecturers and one assistant.
Please note that if you do not pass the aptitude interview, you cannot repeat it. However, you may later submit a completely separate application (no more than two such applications are allowed).
5. Please be patient!
We will inform you in May 2017 whether or not you can begin your Master of Arts in Communication Design.
In addition to accepting students immediately, we also have a waiting list. If you are put on the waiting list, we will inform you in June 2017 whether you can begin your Master of Arts in Communication Design.
We look forward to receiving your application and wish you the best of luck!
We cannot enter into any correspondence or give any information by telephone about the aptitude interview. The BUA cannot accept any responsibility for portfolios submitted.
Transfer from another university
If you are registered for studies at another university and wish to transfer to our MA Communication Design, please contact the Head of Studies and on your online application make a note under “Bemerkungen” (“Remarks”) that you would like to change university, and also if you would like to enter in a higher semester.
ERASMUS students and guest students
If you are registered for studies at another university and wish to pursue part of your studies in our MA Communication Design programme, please contact the Head of Studies. See here for further information on ERASMUS students and guest students at the BUA.