Former musical studies
- 2019–2023 Manhattan School of Music, B.M., Mary Dunleavy (New York, USA)
- 2016–2019 Music Middle School affiliated to Shanghai Conservatory of Music, High School, Xiuying Li (Shanghai, China)
- 2023, October: Soprano Soloist in Bach Cantatas, world tour with Chamber Orchestra of Shanghai Conservatory of Music
- 2023: Donna Anna in Don Giovanni (Mozart) – Prague Estate Theater (Czech Republic)
- 2023: Queen of the Night in Die Zauberflöte (Mozart) – Weimar Lyric Opera Studio
- 2023: Second Lady in Dido and Aeneas (Purcell) – Manhattan School of Music (USA)
- 2022: Lauretta in Gianni Schicchi (Puccini), (Sicily, Italy)
- 2022: Sour Genovieffa in Sour Angelica (Puccini), (Sicily, Italy)
- 2022: Soprano Soloist in St.John’s Passion (Bach), (New York, USA)
- 2022: Soprano Soloist in Laudate Pueri (Garcia)- Manhattan School of Music (USA)
Shuying Li, a native of Shanghai, recently accomplished her bachelor degree at Manhattan School of Music. Her major study was under the guidance of Shirley Close and Mary Dunleavy. As a recognition of excellence, she was selected as the soprano soloist for Bach’s St. John’s Passion, Garcia’s Laudate Pueri in MSM's orchestra concert seires. This season, Ms. Li has the great honour to make her Donna Anna debut in Don Giovanni (Prague Estates Theater), Königin der Nacht debut in Die Zauberflöte (Weimar Lyric Opern Studio). In the past season, she made her operatic debut as Lauretta and Suor Genovieffa in Puccini's double bills (MOSF), then the Second Lady in Dido and Aeneas (MSM). Her recent scene studies including Bastien und Bastienne (Bastienne), Mireille (title role), La Perichole (title role), Beatrice et Benedict (Héro). Besides singing opera, she also awarded the 1st prize of Hong Kong International Music Competition in chamber music division, and selected to perform Schubert's Auf dem Sturm in Shanghai Conservatory's anniversary gala during her time at Music Middle School affiliated to Shanghai Conservatory of Music. After over seven years of professional operatic training since age of sixteen, Ms. Li is ready to start a new chapter in Swiss Opera Studio/Schweizer Opern Studio under tutoring of world-renown Wagnerian mezzo-soprano Tanja Baumgartner.
Interview: Three questions for Shuying Li
Why are you studying opera?
I was born in a musical family, my mother is a voice teacher at Shanghai Conservatory of Music and my father worked as Trombonist at Shanghai Symphony Orchestra and Shanghai Opera House Orchestra. One fun fact: my mother made her Rusalka debut when she was pregnant with me. So I always feel operatic blood is flooding in my vein. And I enjoyed the spotlights very much, so I find this might be a good career for me to pursue.
What was your first encounter with opera?
Besides sitting in the rehearsals of my parent’s, the first time I really encounter with opera was when I was sixteen, I went to see Tosca at Shanghai Opera House as a freshman at Music middle school of Shanghai Conservatory. My mind was blown by the heroic aria “E lucevan le stelle” of Cavaradossi, since then this aria became my absolute favourite aria ever. The memory of a sixteen years-old me burst into tears is still fresh…
Which is your favourite opera and why?
Don Giovanni is my favourite opera. Firstly, among numerous operas Mozart has written, in my opinion this one is the finest and most sophisticated. As an opera seria, it perfectly balanced out the comedy which keeps audiences involved as well as soaks them into the deep thoughts of humanities. Secondly, I currently made my Donna Anna debut at Prague Estate Theater and the experience was breath-taking. Besides having the honour to work with my amazing colleagues, I found great confidence on big stage, and also I see that experience as a bridge built me into professional world, a connection and preparation for my life in Switzerland.